New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  01:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Whom It May Concern,
There are a couple of areas in Hurricane for Autocad that I think could use some improvement.

One suggestion is to add a "settings" database which can
provide alternate "settings" configurations based on a drop down
selectable list which is user created as needed.

Another suggestion is to provide a "config" database with a user
named and selectable list, which would allow scripts to be redirected
to additional installations of Autocad and directories.

Also while I am on the subject, a remote module, which may be lower priced with less functionality, which can be used to run scripts, much like the simple-script idea, although the interface would be much simpler, such as pick files, pick script, start, without any editing or creation of scripts, perhaps the config database (network) would be accessible as a drop down list in this application also?

I am a new user to Hurricane for Autocad so these features may already be included, if so, please let me know.

Thank You,
Robert Farrell
Computer Drafting Service

Miksteele
Hurricane-Extreme User

USA
216 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miksteele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Robert,

I like to see others post suggestions like these! I'm not sure I understand the specifics of how you may use your suggestions...but I was wondering... as a new user have you had the chance to use the META TAGS in your scripts? If not, you'll find that they actually manipulate the "settings" behind the scenes. In combination with the other PROJECT TAGS & DYNAMIC TAGS it's amazing what can be done without wanting to modify the settings dialog. If I understand correctly... just about any Hurricane "setting" could be handled via META.

In a network environment Hurricane knows the user login. Possibly an automatic "pre-user" script containing METAs set up to control personal "settings" could be enabled based on the user? Or if something was desired that was not "user orientated" but more "project oriented" that could be done using some sort of PROJECT TAG linked "pre-user" script containing METAs...???

One thing I always liked about the METAS is that once you understand them and set them up...your done! No one has the think about which data base to load or what settings to change. For me... I don't worry able my other Hurricane users. It's just simply done already! They just QUEUE and GO!

Mike Fischer
Fischer Design Group, LLC
Building Model Coordination - Steel Detailing - Connection Design
www.FischerDesignGroup.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

652 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi RFarrell,

Thanks for the suggestions....

If I may... just get some background in what you are trying to do, as there may be another less obvious way to accomplish it.

1) I guess the first suggestion would be to follow Miksteels advice and take a look at the META commands. They are truly powerful, once you get the hang of them.
http://www.74mph.com/faq/FAQ00126.html

2) Are you attempting to import settings into other PC's? Will this be a one-time thing, for initial setup? Or do you want the settings to be FORCED from a defined "master" installation? or will those other users still be able to make changes? I guess I'd have to ask, WHICH settings are do you intend to change? (Please specify, or are you just talking abot the SETTINGS tab?) (For the time-being, have you considered using REGEDIT to create a .reg file that you can import into the other PC's, or is this out of the question?)

3) In regards to a "remote module", I have actually toyed with the idea, but there are a few issues with it. I originally created SIMPLE mode to avoid having to make a second program, as it would entail a seperate code base, in other words, there would be a "second" program to maintain. In the case of bugs or feature additions, it would have to be implemented twice, hence the impulse to keep it all together in a single code base. The user would then have the option to swich sub-users into Simple mode, or back out, in an instant, and not have to worry about licensing issues. To create another program with "less functions" would become a competitor for the full blown Hurricane, as almost all features are fully functional in the Hurricane DEMO, which does not expire. So one could run many "full" Hurricane's in DEMO mode (which I suspect many people already do, which is fine), and then would only purchase the stripped down version to actually generate/run the scripts. (I've got a couple of users who just use Hurricane for the file selection

4) "... which would allow scripts to be redirected to additional installations of AutoCAD and directories." - Does the "Create Script in Different Location" function do what you require? (It's only accessible from the menu "Script->Create Script in...".

Thanks again for your suggestions!
(I just like to define exactly what you need before I start making additions/changes. With a little bit of dialog, we can iron it out)

Looking forward to your reply.

Bill

Hurricane for AutoCAD
http://www.74mph.com
FAQ at
http://www.74mph.com/faq/faq.html
Tutorials at
http://www.74mph.com/tutorials.html
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Miksteele,

The meta commands appear to be useful, although, when in postbatch command and something like Quit command as opposed to save command is used depending on the circumstances of the particular script, it is somewhat of an inconvenience to modify that portion of the debug comments at each use.
A lisp routine could be used, some sort of an "IF" or "CONDitional"
which would have to be maintained and that is
where a simple named settings dialog drop down list would be helpful.

I understand that in a networked environment, Hurricane knows the user login, although the networked users consider the Hurricane interface to be uninteresting to use and overly complicated for the simple use of scripts. (probably because they are not programmers.) They do not want to write the script, just select the files and the script and start. The additional interface surrounding those primary functions are confusing, especially while in the throes of a project deadline.

As for understanding the metas, I prefer to spend my time actually scripting Autocad, not Hurricane.

The Config list is used in circumstances where various versions of Autocad are used and resetting the config information, such as the Autocad .exe directory is inconvenient.

Because these suggestions are not yet implemented in Hurricane, I have to both work script and perform all of the scripting work (play) on the drawings. These are actually two separate work functions. Other Autocad users are not going to purchase Hurricane or spend time learning the interface, that is why the concept of a small module to simply select the drawings and script. That would mean additional Hurricane users which would purchase the script play module.

So we now have a script work and script play module, or maybe something more Hurricanish like windscr and waterscr. Anyways I have to get back to my scripting now, Thank You for your help. Hope to see some of these suggestions incorporated or made into a Hurricane product soon.

Thank You,
Robert Farrell
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  2:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Bill,

Here is a typical Hurricane use scenario:

1.) With Hurricane Work Module
Settings tab, Config tab, have an additional User settings and User Config drop down list. These do not actually refer to the User, rather the circumstance of use, can be the same module as User Script Name.
Scripts are created, tested and named by the programmer. The User Settings and User Config used are referenced into the start of the script. The programmer sets up configs for each machine and Autocad application installation, such that the script can successfully run.

The actual script is then made available on the network to other Hurricane Play Users

2.) With Hurricane Play Module
The play user starts Hurricane which automatically loads all of the available scripts, which can be run on that machines Autocad installations. The user only selects the files, the script and start,
along with the named installation if more than one, something like
Autocad 2004 or Autocad R14.
All of the settings and config are pulled from the Hurricane work files which are transparent to the users.

Additional items, such as script filters, favorites, and other display
preferences can be added at a future time.

I understand the additional work needed to maintain two separate applications, although it seems to me that is what you are trying to do in one application. Are you using Visual Studio.net?

Thank You,
Robert Farrell
Go to Top of Page

Miksteele
Hurricane-Extreme User

USA
216 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  7:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miksteele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Robert,

Once your users machine is set up the way you want with a full blown Hurricane switching them to SIMPLE MODE will allow the user to just select the files, the script and start. The filters are already there too. I'm confused...

you wrote:
"The meta commands appear to be useful, although, when in postbatch command and something like Quit command as opposed to save command is used depending on the circumstances of the particular script, it is somewhat of an inconvenience to modify that portion of the debug comments at each use."

The METAS are intended to be used as circumstantials. You don't need to touch your post batch commands. Just throw them in your anywhere script.

If you want a script to save the drawing on exit, place the following line in your script.
;ABORT=FALSE

If you want a particular script NOT to save the drawing on exit, place the following line in your script.
;ABORT=TRUE

Make sure each META option is enabled on your settings tab...

If I spend more than 2 minutes on a script it'll be a doosey and probably save me hours of my precious time. Most of my stuff is already done and self adjusts as required using the META, DYNAMIC and PROJECT TAGS. I could say that most of my network user base thinks Hurricane is somewhat magical in fact. All they do is QUEUE up, Script Select & GO!

Good Luck!

Mike Fischer
Fischer Design Group, LLC
Building Model Coordination - Steel Detailing - Connection Design
www.FischerDesignGroup.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

652 Posts

Posted - November 21 2004 :  10:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi RFarrell,

Thanks for explaining a little further... I'm still a little confused though...

You seem to indicate that you have some users running multiple installations of AutoCAD? (Different versions on the same machine?) Correct? And one issue is that you want a different script for users who run R14 vs 2000? (are the multiple AutoCAD installations for the same user? , i.e. does the user have both versions of AutoCAD installed?), and you need to be able to "change" their Hurricane output directory to the other AutoCAD /Support/ directory?, or change the AutoCAD executable location? (Which isn't yet covered in a META, but can easily be added ) (Along with other settings in the Tools->Options)?

Regards,
Bill

Hurricane for AutoCAD
http://www.74mph.com
FAQ at
http://www.74mph.com/faq/faq.html
Tutorials at
http://www.74mph.com/tutorials.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly